Housing YOU Matters is a nonpartisan, broad-based coalition, working together to find solutions for making homes at all price points more economically feasible to develop.
Our focus for the last two years has been around building alignment and forming the strategy of our work. We have an all-star Advisory Board headed up by Lori Pfeiler, CEO of Habitat for Humanities. We have helped support elected leadership, mostly at the City of San Diego to date, develop new policies to streamline development process and design new density bonuses. For information on all our accomplishments to date and our leadership and members please review our website.
We are in the early stages of developing a strategy to hold our cities and County accountable for their Regional Housing Needs Assessment numbers. We have a thriving, innovation economy and all cities and the County need to participate in cultivating its continued prosperity by playing a role in building the housing that we need to house our talent, essential workers and their families. If we are going to be successful we all need to be in alignment and we would ask that you consider joining our force and/or increasing the resources you contribute to HYM and help to grow our capacity so we can effectively take on this challenging issue that very well may define our future.
The binational region of San Diego is on a trajectory of becoming a great global metropolitan area in the 21st century. Our high tech industries, top universities, phenomenal cultural and natural amenities bring a high quality of life unmatched by any other region of our size. To assure that we support our growth using sustainable, prosperous and equitable strategies, housing affordability and increased stock around the region needs to be addressed.
Housing You Matters is a broad based Coalition that convenes, advocates and educates around solutions for increasing housing supply and lowering the cost of building new homes. We do this by catalyzing leaders to create policy for increasing supply of more affordable homes, educating industry about innovative product types and materials that lower building costs and informing the public at large why we need to do this and the positive impacts it will bring for the viability of our future.
What We Do:
- Research best practices and policies that will catalyze the building of housing that is more affordable to rent or own.
- Educate policy makers, development professionals and the community at large about what impacts our ability to create housing that is more affordable and evidence-based changes that can reverse current trends.
- Research and then educate policy makers, development professionals and the community at large about to how to fund infrastructure that creates the great places for people to live, work and enjoy the San Diego lifestyle.
- Work with policy makers and the community at large to change policies that create a better balance of housing supply.
- Conduct workshops and conferences for policy makers, development professionals and the community at large to explore and educate around emerging trends and best practices for creating a better balance of our housing supply.